Thursday 21 April 2016

Celebrating Barixaa (Rain in Assamese)


Tired from the scorching heat of the sun,
Returning home, with a hope ,for the rain to come.

I walk down the streets of the busy, fast moving city,
Weary and teary I drag myself home.
I could see my skin covered with droplets of fresh sweat,
My throat wanting to quench the thirst,
My palms wanting to feel the moist touch,
Oh how I wish it could rain!

Suddenly, I hear it call,
From behind the canopy of dark clouds.
My heart filled with joy,
Waiting for the first spell of rain ,to touch my senses.
The fresh wind blew,
Blew ,with a promise of refreshing surprises.

I waited,
It came ;
The first spell of rain.
It fell on the dusty busy road,
Spreading the aroma ,which refreshed my mind and soul.

Down the streets I see,
The gurgling water sweeping the dirt towards the gutter,
The kids aloof from the fact,
 Are seen jumping into the puddles with the sound of pitter and patter.
For a second or two,
I was taken back to my childhood days,
Where I would sail my paper boats and form a gaze.

Suddenly my flashbacks experienced a halt,
I reached home.
My garden called for me.
The lush green blades of grass,
Painted my tired feet.
My dry throat expressed its desire for thirst,
My tongue tasted the sweetness of the fresh rain water.

It led me to dance,
Dance, with the abundance and beauty of nature.
Deep within my soul, I accepted,
The divine feeling of contentment,
And the joy of celebrating Barixaa.


No comments:

Post a Comment